Complete your arrangements and add them to an order or agreement

This page explains how to add a signature page to your arrangements, and how to add your arrangements to an order or agreement to make them legally binding.

If a mediator helped you with your arrangements, you’ll need to print a signature page to create a binding agreement. Choose the PDF to download:

Download the PDF you need and attach it to your plan. If you and the other person didn't have a mediator's help, your arrangements will already have the signature lines for you both to sign.

Sign your arrangements

It’s a good idea to consult a lawyer before signing. A lawyer can help you understand your rights and responsibilities, and make sure you’re not agreeing to unfair arrangements.

Once you’ve reviewed and are satisfied with your arrangements, you will both still need to sign it, and have your signatures witnessed. Here are the steps:

  1. One of you (Person A) prints two copies of the agreement, so that each of you has an original.
  2. Person A signs both copies in the presence of a witness. Person A and the witness both initial each page.
  3. Person A sends or gives both copies to the other person (Person B) to also sign and initial in front of a witness.
  4. Person B returns one copy and keeps one copy.

Who can be a witness

Anyone aged 19 or over who is not a party to (involved in) the agreement can witness your signatures. You and the other person can’t witness each other’s signatures, but a third person can witness both your signatures.

Someone who witnesses an agreement doesn’t become a party to that agreement and isn’t responsible for seeing that the agreement is followed. By signing the agreement, the witness is verifying that:

  • They know the person signing and saw them sign the agreement.
  • The person signed voluntarily.
  • The person was sober.

Include your arrangements in an order or agreement

You and the other person might want your arrangements to be part of an order or agreement that deals with other issues, like parenting or support.

You might want to ask the court to make a consent order based on your arrangements and other issues that haven’t been included in the arrangements, but that you’ve agreed on. The Family Law in BC website has more information on court orders.

Use the step-by-step guides on Family Law in BC

Family Law in BC’s step-by-step guide Get a family order in Provincial Court if you both agree and the information page on Get a final family order in Supreme Court if you both agree can help you through the steps of getting consent orders in either Provincial or Supreme Court. They have links to all the forms you must fill out, detailed instructions, and links to other resources.